Opened in 1850, St George’s was the first church to be used as a cathedral after the restoration of the hierarchy. Designed by Joseph Hansom, famous for the Hansom cab, it was built chiefly to serve the growing immigrant Irish Catholic population of the Walmgate area of York to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the church. Three needlework panels illustrate the history, sacramental life and communal activities of the church and parish. View the full church history.

Click Here to view our location and contact details.